1/5/10

The Year That Was

Well it’s done. About all I can say about 2009 is “Of all the years, that was one.” I’m glad it is over. The insanity of politics, the economy, a blatantly corrupt government, global warming and world affairs became so hyper-surreal I don’t even want to attempt retrospect. Usually at this time we see on television a look back over the year that was. The fight ahead is so huge I just don’t have the energy. Instead, I will remember the personal things that happened this year – good and bad – and focus my energy on what lies ahead nationally: the 2010 election. Let’s hope we can put some grown-ups back in Washington.

I also reflect on personal goals during this time of year. One of my biggies is to read God’s word daily. I started an on-line Bible reading group to help me stay accountable to this goal. Yes, it has been a struggle to develop this good habit. But current events feel so out of control that I must anchor myself to God’s word. I shouldn’t be struck by how relevant the Bible is in speaking to everyday life of today. Human nature hasn’t changed in more than 2000 years.

This idea hit me when I was reading about Joseph in the book of Genesis. You will recall Joseph ended up in Egypt at the hands of his brothers who wanted to get rid of him out of jealousy. Pharaoh put Joseph in charge of everything because God blessed his endeavors and gave him the ability to interpret dreams. Because of famine, Joseph reconciled to his family and moved them to the land of Goshen. The famine continued and became so sever the Egyptians came to Joseph in a desperate state. And that is where the story reminds me of human nature today. I quote Genesis 47: 13-21:

There was no food, however, in the whole region because the famine was severe; both Egypt and Canaan wasted away because of the famine. Joseph collected all the money that was to be found in Egypt and Canaan in payment for the grain they were buying, and he brought it to Pharaoh's palace. When the money of the people of Egypt and Canaan was gone, all Egypt came to Joseph and said, "Give us food. Why should we die before your eyes? Our money is used up."
"Then bring your livestock," said Joseph. "I will sell you food in exchange for your livestock, since your money is gone." So they brought their livestock to Joseph, and he gave them food in exchange for their horses, their sheep and goats, their cattle and donkeys. And he brought them through that year with food in exchange for all their livestock.
When that year was over, they came to him the following year and said, "We cannot hide from our lord the fact that since our money is gone and our livestock belongs to you, there is nothing left for our lord except our bodies and our land. Why should we perish before your eyes—we and our land as well? Buy us and our land in exchange for food, and we with our land will be in bondage to Pharaoh. Give us seed so that we may live and not die, and that the land may not become desolate."
So Joseph bought all the land in Egypt for Pharaoh. The Egyptians, one and all, sold their fields, because the famine was too severe for them. The land became Pharaoh's, and Joseph reduced the people to servitude, from one end of Egypt to the other.


You know, our government did the same thing during the depression. Remember when everyone had to turn over their gold? As for the story in Genesis, why didn’t someone figure out what was going on when Joseph started storing up grain and do the same? Why couldn’t they have pooled their resources and depended on themselves to get through the famine? Why didn't they fight, even a little, to provide for themselves and remain autonomous? Instead the Egyptians allowed themselves to depend on the government for their very existence and as a result, they were reduced to mere slaves.

I see it now. There are so many people out of work depending on the government for food stamps and unemployment checks. As a country, we are moving beyond the idea of government offering temporary help to the realm of government becoming permanent provider. There is nothing wrong with taking assistance when it is needed. I did it myself. My worry is we will collectively give up our liberties and let the government keep us afloat because we are too tired to fight the system any more. At that point we will be slaves. I hope it doesn’t happen.

One of my resolutions this year is to bitch less and pray more. I pray this country does not collapse from within. I pray we have the resolve to fight for what we know is ours – given to us by the gracious providence of God and so eloquently expressed in our Constitution. I pray that we all stay anchored in God’s word and see how relevant it is for today. I pray that we press on and are blessed abundantly this coming year. Happy New Year to you and yours.