8/20/09

Once A Marine Always A Marine

By now Brian has completed the Crucible – the 54-hour sleep deprived, food deprived, mental and physical challenge which marks the end of Marine Corps recruit training. He has devoured his Warriors Breakfast. I imagine he stood just a little taller as the Eagle Globe and Anchor emblem was bestowed upon him. He is no longer called recruit. He has officially joined The Few, The Proud. He is a Marine.

I have tears in my eyes as I write this because I know the effort it took my son to achieve this great honor. And I know he may have to pay the ultimate price some day defending this honor. But I’m proud that my son chose to engage in something far bigger than himself. I’m humbled that he chose to forsake his own comfort and convenience to serve others. Yes, he chose a difficult path. But all of his hard work and struggle is molding him into the fine man God intended him to be.

I’m beginning to understand a few things now: like the saying “Once a Marine, always a Marine.” You can’t go through some of the toughest physical, emotional and mental challenges of your life and come out of it unchanged. Or the bond that develops between people who have to rely on each other in extraordinary situations. Or the fortitude of military families who sacrifice so their loved ones can serve their country. Or the emptiness left in the heart when that loved one is half-way around the world. Or why military folks unapologetically sing the National Anthem just a little louder at ball games.

I never thought we would be a military family. But here we are. I am proud to be counted with other military families who have served or are serving. And I’m proud of my son, my Marine. Semper Fi.